The wineries in Queenstown and nearby Gibbston, the 'Valley of Vines', have a reputation for producing some of the world’s best Pinot Noir.
Queenstown is the gateway to the Central Otago wine region, where you’ll find 200 vineyards within a 40 minute drive of the town centre. The Central Otago region is made up of six sub-regions: Gibbston, Cromwell/Pisa/Lowburn, Bannockburn, Bendigo, Wanaka and Alexandra. Each of these sub-regions produce world class wines, and some offer other delicacies as well, from saffron to lavender.
What makes the region’s wine so special is the landscape its grapes are grown in. At a latitude of 45° south, Central Otago is the southernmost wine growing region in the world, with its unique shaly soil and climate providing excellent grape growing conditions. Local winemakers produce award-winning wines of exceptional elegance and longevity. Central Otago wines have a robust, deep flavour profile that isn’t often found on such young vines, and that’s why so many Queenstown and Gibbston-based wineries are making a splash on the world wine scene.
The climate, temperatures and terroir (earth) all combine to create unique flavours in every bottle of Central Otago Pinot Noir and the other varietals that the talented winemakers create here. Exploring individual vineyards gives you insight into how the climate, temperature, and soil make Central Otago so special. We’re proud of our home, and as such winemakers are always eager to share their knowledge.
Experience our wines for yourself! Many vineyards offer a cellar door tasting room and several have excellent winery restaurants on site, so you can drop in for a taste, a chat to the staff or a delicious meal with a glass of your favourite variety.
In Queenstown you have your choice of tour companies which will ferry you around Gibbston and the Central Otago wineries, leaving you to indulge in as many tastings as you wish before being whisked to the next destination. You can join an organised group tour, enlist the services of a chauffeur-driven private vehicle, or even fly high on a helicopter charter flight across the region. From budget tours for large groups to classic cars and high-spec limousines, your wine tour options are endless.
Whether you’re a seasoned connoisseur or new to exploring wine, you’ll leave our wine region with all-new favourites and an appreciation for what climate and soil can do for your taste buds.
- Hire bikes, slap on sunscreen and cycle along trails between the vineyards
- Discover the hidden gems of the valley and choose a private tour, meeting the winemakers
- Work your way through the wood-fired pizza menu at the Gibbston Tavern
- Trust The Chef at Amisfield, no decisions required. Sit back enjoy local, seasonal tastes!
- Say yes to the vineyards offer to send your purchases by mail, so you can continue sampling!
- Venture deep underground at the Worlds first wine cave
- For cheese lovers everywhere! Visit the Cheesery for delightfully handcrafted cow, sheep and goat milk cheeses in the European style
- Choose loose wearing clothings for your visits to Gibbston Valley!
Aura is a collection of carefully curated holiday homes and experiences. Live life to the fullest. Enjoy every second. We'll take care of the rest.