Just 50 minutes’ drive from Queenstown over the magnificent Crown Range, Wanaka perfectly complements neighbouring Queenstown.
Lake Wanaka is a beautiful year-round destination, set against the rugged alpine backdrop of Mount Aspiring National Park.
Downtown Wanaka is home to a vibrant mix of restaurants, cafes, shops and plenty of ambient areas to relax and enjoy the amazing scenery. The fishing is superb, there’s a multitude of adventure activities on offer and anywhere you walk you’ll find breath-taking scenery and wide open spaces. Those who call the town home opine that Wanaka is what Queenstown was twenty years ago: a little more laid back, a little more relaxed, off the tourist track and suited to lazy days and long summer evenings for those summer holidays.
Wine tasting, a mind boggling puzzling attraction and viewing classic warplanes are among other popular adventures offered in Wanaka all year round. If you plan a visit during Easter, make sure you attend the biennial Warbirds over Wanaka airshow, which attracts fighter planes from around the world for a fascinating three day spectacular.
Winter in Wanaka
In winter Wanaka is a snow lover’s paradise. Skiers and snowboarders enjoy two world class ski resorts within 40 minutes’ drive of downtown Wanaka, with Treble Cone Ski Area and Cardrona Alpine Resort. Those seeking a more relaxed mountain pace head to New Zealand’s only cross country ski area at Snow Farm, also located in the Cardrona valley. Once you’ve finished your ski, the Cardrona Distillery is home to world-class gin and whiskey for something a little different to the classic Central Otago wine holiday.
Summer in Wanaka
In summer Wanaka is a favourite holiday playground for New Zealand families and is home to sun-seekers and boating enthusiasts throughout the long, hot Central Otago summer. Lakeside camping grounds provide get-aways holidays for all ages. Cruises, windsurfing, wakeboarding and waterskiing are favourite lake activities, while closer to the township you can experience horse trekking, skydiving, 4WD motor-biking or eco rafting. One of the best ways to explore Lake Wanaka is via kayak, so you can enjoy the scenery from any angle at your own pace.
Wanaka also attracts hikers, mountaineers, kayakers, rock-climbers, heli-bikers and day walkers from around the world who revel in the area’s natural attributes and the relaxed friendly atmosphere of the town.
All our Aura properties are a short drive over the Crown Range from both the Cardrona Valley and Wanaka. It’s a day trip you won’t want to miss.
- Explore the pristine rivers, waterfalls, native forests by foot in the Mt Aspiring National Park
- Take a breathtaking Tandem Paragliding flight from Treble Cone Mountain
- #thatwanakatree - NZ's most photographed tree, made famous on Instagram!
- Climb alongside Twin Falls, the highest waterfall via ferrata in the world!
- Challenge yourself: jump, climb, abseil and swim the canyons
- Strap yourself to a beautiful stranger and skydive over the beautiful Wanaka scenery
- Climb Roys Peak Track - a must do for magnificent views of Wanaka, the lake and Southern Alps
- Loose your friends in the maze at Puzzling World
- Sit on the beach, watching the world go, eating fish n chips with your fingers!
Aura is a collection of carefully curated holiday homes and experiences. Live life to the fullest. Enjoy every second. We'll take care of the rest.